Monday, 13 December 2010

Luke Jerram

In my first year of university i managed to be in the right place at the right time and bagged a couple of days work with local Bristol based artist Luke Jerram. It was simply cutting some metal pipes for a project he was working on but i had the chance to see how he worked and what his studio practice was like. His most well known work, to me anyway, was the 'play me i'm yours' project which consisted of pianos placed around the city allowing the general public to just have a go.


' ‘Play Me, I’m Yours’ provides an interconnected resource, a blank canvas, for the public to express themselves and share their creativity. Questioning the ownership and rules of public space 'Play Me I'm Yours' is a provocation, inviting the public to engage with, activate and take ownership of their urban environment. In June 2009,  'Play Me, I'm Yours' was discussed in the House of Lords regarding the absurdity of the UK music licensing laws.'
His website is full of cool projects he has completed or currently has in the pipeline. Definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment